We are so excited to have a new online home. It’s taken a while to get this baby built and we never could have done it without our good friend, Jordan. Tell us what you think about our new website digs. You can get in touch with us easily through our new contact page.
We’re still working out some kinks – moving around the furniture, shopping for new blinds and such, but we’re excited to have this bright new space to put up some more recipes, show off our products and build a relationship with you.
We’ve got a lot of things built up to tell you about, but we’ll start with this gorgeous feature article we did for the magazine Sweet Paul. Michaela regularly develops the One For the Season column, and she got to wear a bunch of hats for this feature – food styling, recipe development, and writing. Below is the recipe for Crisp Pickled Squash included in the feature. It’s a beautiful and delicious way to welcome you here. Enjoy!
Crisp Pickled Squash
-Yields about 4 pint jars-
3 pounds winter squash, peeled, seeded and sliced (about 8 cups)
2 Tbsp pickling or canning salt
2 cups cider vinegar
1 cup sugar
1 ½ teaspoons mustard powder
1 ½ teaspoons mustard seeds
¾ teaspoon turmeric
4 slices fresh ginger
4 small bay leaves
4 dried hot peppers
1. In a bowl, mix the squash with the salt and let it rest for 2 to 3 hours.
2. Prepare waterbath canner, jars and lids.
3. In a large saucepan, bring vinegar, sugar, mustard powder, mustard seeds and turmeric to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar. Reduce heat, cover the pan and simmer for 10 minutes.
4. Drain the squash pieces, rinse and drain them again. Pack the squash into the pint jars leaving a generous 1/2 inch of headspace.
5. Ladle hot pickling liquid into jars to cover squash leaving 1/2 inch of headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace if necessary by adding more hot pickling liquid.
6. Wipe rim of jars and seal hand tight with lid.
7. Process jars in boiling water bath for 10 minutes.
8. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed. Clean and store jars for at least a month.
9. For most delicious results, enjoy within one year!